How to Move a Fridge Safely: The Ultimate Guide
Been going back and forth trying to figure out how to move a refrigerator into your new home? If you’re nodding your head yes, then we’re happy to inform you that you’ve come to the right place. Because our goal is to make your life easier, we’re here to help you figure it all out!
Moving a refrigerator certainly is not for the faint-hearted, as it’s a process that not only requires a ridiculous amount of strength but also tons of patience. If you’re still debating between putting your muscle up to the ultimate test or letting someone else handle it for ya’, we’ve broken down everything you need to know about moving a fridge with our without movers to help you figure it all out!
Want to make this light reading much more enjoyable? Give the playlist below a play! 😉
Moving a Refrigerator with Professional Movers
As experts in moving we truly recommend hiring a professional mover to help you with the move of your fridge. Even though it will add a few extra bucks to your move, it really is the only way to guarantee you won’t damage your fridge or worse, hurt yourself in the moving process!
Still not convinced about hiring professionals to do the hard work for you? Here are some common mistakes people make while trying to move a fridge by themselves that might change your mind about it:
- Underestimating how heavy a refrigerator actually is —did you know a fridge can weigh anywhere between 170 to 250 lbs?!;
- Trying to move a refrigerator without professional equipment —for the sake of your back we really recommend using a dolly if you decide to go for a DIY move;
- Transporting the fridge sideways instead of upright (including when you’re moving it on a dolly!) —this can severely damage the cooling tubes;
- Not defrosting the refrigerator on time —this can certainly cause a mess during transport;
- Securing the doors too early during the move —not great unless you’re a fan of mildew!
Keep in mind that yes, moving a refrigerator by yourself will certainly help you save a few bucks –-but is this something worth sacrificing your back for?
Tip!: Unsure where to find a moving company that offers refrigerator moving services? Fill out our quote form by clicking the banner below so we can connect with you up to 5 different movers!
Looking to Relocate?
Choose the size of your move below to receive up to 5 free moving quotes!
How to Move a Refrigerator By Yourself
If you’re still adamant on putting up your strength and fridge-moving-skills up to test, we got your back. Unfortunately, there’s no magic formula to make moving a fridge less complicated or tiring. But! If you follow the right steps, the process will definitely be a tad less stressful.
Wondering how to move a refrigerator like a pro? Besides gathering a few of your strongest friends to help you with the move, you will also need to purchase (or rent!) the following items:
- Appliance dolly (Tip!: These can be rented from multiple moving companies and home improvement retailers like Home Depot!);
- Moving blankets;
- Moving straps or strong rope;
- Measuring tape;
- Screw driver.
Main Steps to Follow
Moving a fridge is no easy task, so it’s no surprise that the how to move a refrigerator checklist tends to be a bit long. To help you ensure you don’t forget any essential steps (so you can protect your fridge and your back at all costs!), we highlighted the key steps in the handy infographic below.
And there you go! We hope that this small blog post managed to help you decide between going through a DIY-fridge-move or leaving it to the pros. 😉 In case you’re moving more than a refrigerator and need further assistance planning your move, we have the following articles and tools for ya’: