Your location details
Step 2 Your moving details Step 3 Your contact details
Why Choose Sirelo to Request International Moving Quotes?
Requesting and comparing international moving quotes can be an overwhelming process. In order to make this as easy-going for you, requesting quotes through Sirelo allows you to:
- Save time: Forget about having to spend hour contacting moving companies individually. We take care of that for you!
- Save money: International moving quotes can differ up to 40%. So, by receiving multiple quotes and comparing them against each other, you can reduce the risk of overpaying.
- Find your perfect match: The information you share with us will allow us that we find the international movers that best match your needs and expectations.
- Compare international movers: After receiving all your moving quotes, all you have left is to evaluate each of them to finally move forward with the moving process!
International Moving Quotes: What Affects the Price?
The prices reflected on the international moving quotes you receive are often influenced by a number of factors. Among such, the most relevant ones include:
- Size of your move: The total volume and weight of your move will have an effect on your final moving costs. The bigger the size of your move, the more expensive it will be.
- Type of transport: The transportation mode you choose to perform your move will have an influence over the final price. Usually, sea-freights are the cheapest option while air transport is the most expensive.
- Distance: The further apart your departure and destination points are from each other, the more expensive your move will be.
- Services included: The more additional services you hire for your move (e.g.: (dis)assembly of furniture, packing), the higher your moving costs will be at the end.
- Additional costs: Depending on the moving company, additional costs aside from those listed above can also be part of your quote (e.g.: moving insurance, vehicle shipping, art shipping).
Extra Costs Associated with International Moving
It’s important to keep in mind that there are a number of factors not associated with international moving quotes which can rise up your total moving expenses. These include:
- Custom duty charges
- Visa fees
- Booking flights
- Temporary storage
- Temporary accommodation
How to Compare International Moving Quotes
Evaluating your international moving quotes is no easy task. There’s often a lot of information in each of these quotes, so the comparison between international movers can easily become overwhelming. To help you out with this very important task, we compiled a list of important factors you should always be on the lookout for.
International moves are very well known for being expensive. So, it’s safe to say that price is one of the most important factors you should take into account when comparing quotes. However, it’s also important to keep in mind that regardless of its importance, price doesn’t always represent the quality of the moving company’s services.
It might be the case that you’ll feel inclined to select a company that offers the lowest price. But, most of the times hidden costs are the reason why their price is so low. As well, you might believe that choosing the company with the highest cost will guarantee that no hidden costs or flaws will be present during the process. However, this isn’t the case! Because of this, it’s important that you carefully check which services are included in your international quote. This will help you make sure that you fully know what you’re signing yourself up for.
Services Included in Your International Moving Quotes
As we highlighted already, it’s extremely important that you carefully check which services are included in the international moving quotes you receive. We recommend being on the lookout for the following:
- Packing supplies: Certain movers don’t include packing supplies, such as boxes and tape, on their quotes. They might expect that you’ll either purchase them yourself or explicitly request this to them beforehand.
- (Dis)assembly services: Specific skills and equipment are required for the (dis)assembly of furniture. These type of services are offered by most moving companies, but always at an extra fee.
- Transportation of speciality items: Moving special objects, such as pianos or artwork, often represent extra costs. It’s important that you let movers know if this is a service you’ll need. We recommend scheduling a visit so they can assess for themselves the items they’ll be transporting.
- Load and delivery options: When it comes to international moves carried out by sea, movers offer three (or at least one) of these delivery options: door-to-door, port-to-port, or door-to-fill. These different methods require different services, so depending on the one choose the costs will either be higher or lower.
- Moving insurance: Carefully evaluate the terms and conditions of the insurance offered by each moving company. Make sure that it explicitly specifies the amount and type of items insured, and what steps would be taken in case of damage or loss of your belongings.
Quality and Certifications
We always recommend that you carry out your own research of each of the moving companies you’re evaluating. This not only entails looking at their websites to get a better understanding of what they offer, but also checking to see what licenses/certifications these companies have.
When it comes to international moves, there’s a few associations you should be on the lookout for:
- Federal Maritime Commission: The FMC is a federal agency responsible for the international ocean transportation system in the United States. Their main goal is to ensure a reliable ocean transportation system that protects the public from deceptive practices.
- International Association of Movers: IAM is a trade association formed only by companies that focus on providing moving, forwarding, shipping and related services.
- FIDI: FIDI is a global alliance of international moving companies. Companies can only become affiliates if they can prove their high level of quality service.
- Better Business Bureau: The BBB is a nonprofit organization focused on advancing trust within the marketplace by setting strict trust standards which companies must comply to in order to receive an accreditation.
You can also check out the companies we have selected as the top 8 international moving companies of 2020 for further insights.
A great way to check what you can expect from a moving company is by looking at its customer reviews. These reviews will help you get a sense of how reliable the services of a particular company are –from a perspective of others like you!
On our platform, you can find the profile of over 800 moving companies across the United States. In each profile, you’ll be able to find not only general information about the company, but also customer experiences, complaints and reviews. This information can ultimately help you make the final choice when deciding between companies.
We hope this article gave you insights into what the process of requesting international moving quotes and comparing between moving companies is like. If you still need an extra hand, we recommend checking out the articles below –they contain tons of useful information for your move! 😉