1. Get organized
A small move can still be quite overwhelming, so it’s important to be as organized as possible. Create a list of everything you need to do for you small move. When you think about it, there’s a lot that goes into planning a move, even when small. You’ve come to the right place! By following our moving checklist, you’ll make sure to move the small amount of your furniture in a smooth way!
2. Do not Procrastinate
It is tempting to wait until the last minute to start packing, but this will only make your small move more stressful. Start packing as soon as you can so you’re not rushed on the moving day.
There are few tricks to packing efficiently for a small move. Lucky for you, we don’t like gatekeeping, which is why we have an entire article dedicated to the topic. Better yet, if you’re already feeling behind, this article can definitely help you get back on track!
3. Hire Professional Movers
This is probably the most important tip on this list, especially if you’re making a small move cross-country. Hiring professional movers will take a lot of the stress and work out of moving. They can also help you with packing and loading your belongings onto the truck.
4. Enlist Help from Friends & Family
In case you decided to not choose a moving company for your long-distance move, you can perhaps ask help from friends and family. A small move is the perfect opportunity to ask assistance from loved ones. They can help with everything form packing to loading the truck on moving day. Don’t forget to thank them with a crisp beer and pizza at the end, they definitely deserve it!
5. Pack an Essentials Box
After a long day of moving, the last thing you’d want to do is unpack clothes, or go grocery shipping. Make sure to pack an essentials box with things you’ll need during your first few days in your home, like toiletries, snacks and a change of clothes.
Even small moves can be stressful, but if you’re prepared and have a plan, they don’t have to be. Make sure to follow our top tips to make sure your small move goes as smooth as possible!
💡Consolidated Moves – The Cheaper Alternative
If you must execute a small move but want to save on costs, you should consider consolidated moves. With this method, movers’ group two different small moving requests together in order reduce costs on cross-country moves. There are a few things you should keep aware before going through with the plan:
Pros of a Consolidated Move
- A Cheaper move: since you’re sharing a truck with another person, you’ll be splitting the expenses. You might save up to 50% on moving costs by consolidating your possessions.
- A Sustainable option: by choosing this option for your small move, moving companies will be able to take less polluting journeys as a result. This is good for your pocket and environment too!
Cons of a Consolidated Move
- Lack of flexibility: because a consolidated move requires two customers moving around the same time-period and in the same direction, it is less flexible than a normal moving procedure.
- Extended waiting time: the lack of flexibility in consolidated moves means that you may have to wait longer for your belongings to arrive. If your small move is urgent enough, we recommend looking into other methods of moving.
Moving long-distance can be a daunting task, even for a small amount for furniture, but with the right planning and preparation it doesn’t have to be. Hopefully, this article has given you some helpful tips on how to conduct your long-distance small move as smoothly as possible. Be sure to check out our other moving articles for more advice and information, and good luck on your upcoming move!