What Is IAM?
The International Association of Movers (IAM), established in 1962, is a the largest trade association in the moving and forwarding industry. With over 2,000 active members, the association constitutes companies that offer moving, shipping, forwarding, logistics and other related services in over 170 different countries.
IAM offers its members a range of programs, membership protections and events aimed at encouraging networking and knowledge sharing among members. The main goal of the association is, at the end of the day, to boost the growth and success of its members while ensuring such provide high quality and transparent services to the customers they cater to.
What Are the Entry Requirements?
In order to become an IAM member, the moving company must meet the following requirements:
- Have a minimum of one year of experience within the moving, forwarding and logistics industry;
- Recommendation letters from at least two current IAM members;
- Payment of entrance fees;
- A copy of current country/state/province business license;
- Tax ID number;
- A copy of a government-issued proof of identification for the company’s principal owning.
Why Should You Book an IAM Company?
The main reason why you should book an IAM certified mover is quite simple –ensuring you have a high-quality professional move. The members of this association have to commit themselves to extensive activity monitoring as well as a lengthy code of ethics. Among the points found in this code of ethics we can find:
- Run the business responsibly and professionally;
- Deal with customers and companies fairly;
- Follow a policy of honesty and integrity;
- Remain truthful and open to communicate;
- Comply with any (legal) agreements;
- Comply with their payments in time;
- Operate fair competition.
As well, IAM members must adhere to the global standards set by ISO.
IAM Movers: [/color red]How to Find Them[/color]
The easiest way to find an IAM certified mover besides scouting for the logo on the company’s website is to use the association’s Mobility Exchange site to search for companies by name or location. By using such, you will obtain information regarding the mover’s range of services, quality certifications and other moving associations they might be part of.
We hope this article helped you get a better idea of what being a member of IAM means. Keep in mind that you can always find good moving companies that are not part of IAM. In this case we recommend that you check their most recent reviews to verify their quality. If you are looking for more information about moving associations, we recommend that you take a look at the articles linked below. Good luck with your move! 🙂